I chose this option instead of the information literacy
option because everything that I write, I want to be able to link to my
dissertation. I chose to explore the options of second life as a virtual
environment that can be used in my field to be able to connect to students that
are reluctant to meet with counselors face to face..
I like that an administrator or district can own an island
and restrict their users from entering inappropriate areas. Moreover, I
like some of the free areas that allow you to be able change your avatar to the
way you want them to look like and be. The image of the avatar not only
affects interactions with others, but influences the way one choses to
communicate.
In a virtual counseling setting students would be able to
create their avatar and enter a session that would allow them to work on
intrapersonal communication and issues.
Using the TPAC Model, counselors would be able to enter into
the technological knowledge world. Though our teachers and students are
encroached in technology, our counseling department lags behind. A
virtual counseling corner or an island on SL with a counseling center would be
very beneficial. The pedagogical knowledge allows counselors to track the
lessons that absolutely need to be covered because of issues that may be
plaguing a classroom environment. Covering the content knowledge in a
virtual classroom environment allows the counseling curriculum that I don’t
always get to cover in every classroom to be done and allows anonymity where
they would normally have to show their face to receive services.
There are open sim(s) that can allow the same type of
virtual environment, but it would not allow for the same type of control.
No comments:
Post a Comment